Retlaw Union / United Church After Restoration
https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/descriptions58083
- Material Type
- Photograph
- Date Range
- 1997
- Accession No.
- 20011085002
- Physical Description
- Two-sided colour laser photocopy
- Scope and Content
- The exterior of the Retlaw Union / United Church after restoration.
- Material Type
- Photograph
- Date Range
- 1997
- Physical Description
- Two-sided colour laser photocopy
- Physical Condition
- Excellent
- History Biographical
- Construction of the church at Retlaw began in 1918, and the first service there was held on 24 December 1918. Built as the Retlaw Union Church, it was intended to be shared by all the denominations in the district. Officially dedicated by Rev. Powell on 16 February 1919, the church received the donation of a bell in memory of 14 year old Walter Domeij, the son of one of the contractors who built the church. At some point, and for reasons no longer known, the name of the Church was changed from Retlaw Union to Retlaw United. The church was not, however, affiliated with the United Church of Canada. By 1943 services were held at the church only once every two weeks. In 1949 some repairs were done to the church, but in August 1953 last recorded service was held. The church was abandoned. In the summer of 1976 the church bell was removed in secret, and then returned in secret in November of the same year. The church remained abandoned until summer 1989, when a visitor began to repair the roof as a personal project. In 1992 the first large-scale efforts at restoration of the church began. A grant of $5,000 was received from the Alberta Historical Resources Foundation toward the restoration of the church in November 1992, and as of today the building is fully restored.
- Scope and Content
- The exterior of the Retlaw Union / United Church after restoration.
- Access Restrictions
- Public Access
- Accession No.
- 20011085002
- Collection
- Archive
Images
{{ server.message }}