Bowman School Building
https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/descriptions36560
- Material Type
- Photograph
- Date Range
- [196-]
- Description Level
- Item
- Accession No.
- 199710806046
- Physical Description
- 9 x 12.8 cm Black and white photograph
- Scope and Content
- View of the Allied Arts Council of Lethbridge building at 811 5 Avenue South.
- Material Type
- Photograph
- Date Range
- [196-]
- Description Level
- Item
- Physical Description
- 9 x 12.8 cm Black and white photograph
- Physical Condition
- Excellent
- History Biographical
- The building was originally the Manual Training School. Designed by Whiddington and Whiddington architects, and built by Smith Brothers & Wilson, it opened for classes in February 1913. In March 1915 the building became home to the high school, and all manual training courses were discontinued. When a new high building was opened in October 1928 the Bowman School, as it was renamed earlier that year, became an elementary school. Bowman School operated until early 1963, when the School Board decided to close the school and sell the property. The City of Lethbridge purchased the property in late 1963, and the former Bowman School became home to the Civic Museum on 22 February 1964. In July 1964 he City signed an agreement with the Allied Arts Council of Lethbridge to manage and operate and arts centre, and on 9 January 1965 the Bowman Arts Centre opened in the building. The Civic Museum moved to the former Galt Hospital building in 1966, and the building remains the Bowman Arts Centre. The Allied Arts Council moved its offices from the building in 2006, but member organizations still continue to use the former Manual Training School.
- Scope and Content
- View of the Allied Arts Council of Lethbridge building at 811 5 Avenue South.
- Access Restrictions
- Public Access
- Accession No.
- 199710806046
- Collection
- Archive
Images
{{ server.message }}