Skip header and navigation
Galt Museum and Archives Collections
  • Search
  • Help
  • Selections 0
Print
P19981071001 thumbnail
Toggle Detail View

Lethbridge Firefighters And Equipment

https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/descriptions11126
Material Type
Photograph
Date Range
[ca. 1914]
Description Level
Item
Accession No.
19981071001
Physical Description
12.7 x 17.8 cm Black and white photograph
Scope and Content
Pumper truck, mobile ladder and other equipment outside the Arlington Hotel at 316 1 Avenue South.
More detail
1 image
Material Type
Photograph
Date Range
[ca. 1914]
Description Level
Item
Physical Description
12.7 x 17.8 cm Black and white photograph
Physical Condition
Excellent
History Biographical
The Arlington Hotel, located at 316 1 Avenue South, was originally built as the Queen's Hotel in 1888 by proprietor James Ashcroft. The hotel stood on the site of an earlier building called Alphonse' Hall or Hotel, also known as Roberge Hall, built in 1885 or 1886. In 1902 T. Rooney bought the Queen's Hotel and changed its name to the Arlington. Mr. Rooney added a mahogany bar, and in 1904 a 30 foot by 40 foot addition to the hotel was constructed. Mr. Rooney applied for a liquor license in 1906-1907. In 1910 the original hotel was replaced by a three storey brick building. An adjoining building was purchased, and remodelled as an addition to the Arlington. The new hotel had 117 rooms, and boasted an electric elevator. It was the largest hotel in the city at the time. Some years later the Arlington Hotel was purchased and renamed the Plainsmen Hotel. In 1976 the building was once again renovated and renamed, this time to the Bridge Inn. In the first decade of the 21st century the hotel fell into disrepair, and was purchased by the City of Lethbridge. The City, unable to find a buyer for the hotel, demolished it on 24 May 2007.
Acquisition Source
City of Lethbridge Fire Department
Scope and Content
Pumper truck, mobile ladder and other equipment outside the Arlington Hotel at 316 1 Avenue South.
Access Restrictions
Public Access
Accession No.
19981071001
Collection
Archive
Images
P19981071001 thumbnail
Less detail
  • Share
    Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter LinkedIn LinkedIn Pinterest Pinterest
  • Feedback
  • More like this
  • Permalink
  • Home
  • Search
  • Help

Galt Museum and Archives
502 1 Street South
Lethbridge, AB

Phone: 403.320.3954
info@galtmuseum.com

© 2026 Galt Museum and Archives