PLAQUE
https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/artifact9787
- Material Type
- Artifact
- Date
- 1993
- Materials
- WOOD, BRASS
- No. Pieces
- 1
- Height
- 2.3
- Length
- 17.8
- Width
- 12.5
- Description
- RECTANGULAR, BROWN WOOD. EDGES OF PLAQUE HAVE DECORATIVE BEVELED EDGES. MOUNTED ON RIGHT SIDE OF FACE IS A GOLD PIECE OF METAL, UNDER A BLACK PIECE OF METAL. THESE PIECES ARE SQUARE SHAPED WITH THE CORNERS CUT INTO A CURVE. ETCHED INTO BLACK METAL IS "EATONS IN RECOGNITION OF YOUR COMMITMENT TO CELEBRATE CANADA CITY OF LETHBRIDGE "CANADA DAY" ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 1993", IN GOLD. ON LEFT SIDE OF FACE IS THE IMAGE OF A TORCH, FRAMED BY TWO STEMS OF LEAVES. IN THE CENTER OF LEAVES IS A CITY OF LETHBRIDGE CREST. BACK OF PLAQUE HAS A WHITE STICKER WITH GREEN PRINT, THAT READS "TROPHIES UNLIMITED", ETC.
- Subjects
- PERSONAL SYMBOL
- Historical Association
- COMMEMORATIVE
- RETAIL TRADE
- History
- MUSEUM OBTAINED ITEMS FROM LETHBRIDGE EATON'S STORE IN 1999. DUE TO COMPANY BANKRUPTCY, EATON'S STORES ACROSS CANADA WERE CLOSED, INCLUDING THE LETHBRIDGE LOCATION IN PARK PLACE MALL. *UPDATE* IN 2014 COLLECTIONS ASSISTANT JANE EDMUNDSON CONDUCTED A SURVEY OF ART OBJECTS, INCLUDING THOSE ASSOCIATED WITH THE T. EATON COMPANY STORES IN LETHBRIDGE. THE FOLLOWING BRIEF HISTORY OF LETHBRIDGE'S EATON'S STORE WAS DEVELOPED WITH INFORMATION FROM GALT ARCHIVES AND LETHBRIDGE HERALD ARTICLES FROM THE FALL OF 1988. THE T. EATON COMPANY WAS FOUNDED IN TORONTO IN 1869 BY TIMOTHY EATON. THE FIRST LETHBRIDGE EATON'S 'TECO' STORE WAS OPENED IN 1927 IN THE BASEMENT OF THE DOMINION BLOCK ON THE CORNER OF 4 AVENUE AND SIXTH STREET SOUTH. AFTER A FIRE, THE BUILDING WAS RENOVATED AND COMPLETELY TAKEN OVER BY THE EATON'S STORE, WHICH OPERATED IN THAT LOCATION UNDER PERIODIC RENOVATIONS FROM 1929 UNTIL THE OPENING OF THE PARK PLACE MALL IN 1988, IN WHICH EATON'S WAS AN ANCHOR RETAILER. IN 1989 A PORTION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF LETHBRIDGE ART COLLECTION WAS TEMPORARILY PUT ON DISPLAY IN THE VACANT EATON'S BUILDING, AND PROPOSALS WERE MADE TO MAKE THE INSTALLATION PERMANENT, BUT EVENTUALLY THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD AND DEMOLISHED TO MAKE WAY FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A BANK OF MONTREAL BRANCH. IN 1999 THE EATON'S STORE IN PARK PLACE MALL CLOSED JUST PRIOR TO THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE BANKRUPTCY OF THE LARGER T. EATON COMPANY LIMITED. SEE PERMANENT FILE P19930072001 FOR HARDCOPIES OF SOURCE MATERIAL.
- Catalogue Number
- P19990061035
- Acquisition Date
- 1999-10
- Collection
- Museum
{{ server.message }}