https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/artifact7052
- Material Type
- Artifact
- Materials
- WOOD, GLASS, PAPER
- Catalogue Number
- P19960116175
- Material Type
- Artifact
- Date
- 1941
- Materials
- WOOD, GLASS, PAPER
- No. Pieces
- 1
- Height
- 1.6
- Length
- 40
- Width
- 32.3
- Description
- WOOD FRAME IS BLUE WITH GOLD BURNISHING AND BEAD WORK PATTERN. GLASS PANE IS OVER WHITE PAPER WITH BROWN PENCIL SKETCH. SKETCH HAS YELLOW EDGING AND WHITE BORDER AREA. SKETCH IS OF NURSE HOLDING TRAY WITH PATIENT IN BED IN BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER. AT BOTTOM LEFT CORNER IS "PRINTED IN U.S.A." AND IN RIGHT CORNER IS "1941 JOHNSON & JOHNSON". ACROSS BOTTOM BENEATH SKETCH IS "HELEN SCOTT HAY THE AMERICAN NURSE WHO, AS CHIEF NURSE OF THE AMERICAN RED CROSS IN PARIS, HELPED ORGANIZE NURSING SCHOOLS THROUGHOUT MOST OF CENTRAL EUROPE AND THE BALKANS."
- Subjects
- ART
- Historical Association
- DECORATIVE ARTS
- HEALTH SERVICES
- History
- PRINT WAS REMOVED FROM ST. MICHAEL'S HOSPITAL BEFORE THE HOSPITAL WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1996. FOR MORE HISTORY ON HOSPITAL SEE P19960116001-GA. *UPDATE* IN 2015 COLLECTIONS ASSISTANT JANE EDMUNDSON CONDUCTED A SURVEY OF ART OBJECTS, INCLUDING THOSE RECOVERED FROM ST. MICHAEL’S HOSPITAL PRIOR TO ITS DEMOLITION IN 1996. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ON THE SUBJECT OF THIS PRINT, HELEN SCOTT HAY, WAS EXCERPTED FROM GENEALOGYTRAILS.COM. HELEN SCOTT HAY WAS BORN IN ILLINOIS IN 1869 AND GRADUATED FROM NORTHWESTERN ACADEMY IN 1889 BEFORE ENTERING THE ILLINOIS TRAINING SCHOOL FOR NURSES. AFTER FINISHING HER DEGREE, SHE WORKED IN IOWA AND CALIFORNIA BEFORE SERVING AS SUPERINTENDENT OF NURSES AT THE ILLINOIS TRANING SCHOOL FOR NURSES IN COOK COUNTY FROM 1906 TO 1912. HAY THEN JOINED THE AMERICAN RED CROSS WHERE SHE BECAME HEAD NURSE OF THE ORGANIZATION IN PARIS, HELPING TO ESTABLISH NURSING SCHOOLS THROUGHOUT CENTRAL EUROPE. AT THE OUTBREAK OF WORLD WAR ONE SHE BECAME THE DIRECTOR OF AMERICAN RED CROSS NURSING PERSONNEL AND WAS ASSIGNED TO THE BALKANS. AFTER THE WAR SHE WAS APPOINTED DIRECTOR OF THE EUROPEAN WORK OF THE RED CROSS. HELEN SCOTT HAY DIED IN SAVANNA, ILLINOIS IN 1932. SEE PERMANENT FILE FOR HARDCOPY OF ONLINE SOURCE. THE FOLLOWING HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL WAS DEVELOPED WITH INFORMATION FROM THE GALT ARCHIVES, ARCHIVES CANADA ONLINE, AND RECORD P19960116001. ST. MICHAEL'S GENERAL HOSPITAL WAS FOUNDED IN LETHBRIDGE BY CATHOLIC SISTERS OF ST. MARTHA OF ANTIGONISH IN MAY 1929. THE FACILITY OF THE PRIVATELY-OWNED VAN HAARLEM HOSPITAL (1224 - 7TH AVE S.), ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE 27 PATIENTS, WAS PURCHASED FOR $34000. A SMALL HOUSE ACROSS THE STREET SERVED AS A RESIDENCE FOR THE SISTERS, WITH ONE ROOM FURNISHED AS A CHAPEL. A HOSPITAL BOARD WAS FORMED, CONSISTING OF THE PARISH PRIEST AND SIX LOCAL BUSINESSMEN. IN COOPERATION WITH THE CITY OF LETHBRIDGE, THE CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW MODERN 100-BED HOSPITAL STARTED IN 1930. HENRY WILLIAM MEECH WAS THE ARCHITECT FOR THE PROJECT. THE NEW BUILDING OPENED AT 9TH AVENUE AND 13TH ST SOUTH IN SEPTEMBER 1931. THE NEWLY NAMED ST. MICHAEL’S GENERAL HOSPITAL WAS NOW ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE 100 PATIENTS, AND THE ORIGINAL GROUP OF DOCTORS INCLUDED D.A. MCNALLY, W.S. GALBRAITH, P.M. CAMPBELL, R. SHILLINGTON, G.W. LEECH, D. WOODCOCK, G.L. CONNOR, W. BRIANS, L.A. ROY, G. SPACKMAN, J.S. WRAY, B.O. FOWLER, J.E. LOVERING, F.W. SWANCESKY, D.A. TAYLOR, BRAITHWAITH, J.K. BIGELOW, AND A.A. HAIG. THE HOSPITAL CONTAINED CHILDREN'S, YOUTH AND PSYCHIATRIC WARDS, FOUR OPERATING ROOMS, A CHAPEL AND A SPECIAL WARD FOR CASUALTIES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR AND THE P.O.W. CAMP. IN 1932 THE HOSPITAL OBTAINED ACCREDITATION UNDER THE HOSPITAL STANDARDIZATION PROGRAM OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS. AFTER THE SECOND WORLD WAR THE HOSPITAL WAS EXPANDED WITH AN 83-BED EAST WING, OPENING IN 1951. IN THE 1953, THE HOSPITAL RECEIVED A NEW NURSES' RESIDENCE AND THE SCHOOL OF NURSING; THE SCHOOL TRAINED OVER 500 NURSES OVER THE NEXT TWENTY YEARS. IN 1965 ANOTHER EXPANSION WING EXTENDED THE HOSPITAL’S CAPACITY TO 207 BEDS. THE SCHOOL OF NURSING CLOSED IN 1973, AND THE REMAINING SISTERS OF ST. MARTHA STILL WORKING IN THE HOSPITAL LIVED IN THE VACATED STUDENT RESIDENCES. IN 1984 OWNERSHIP OF THE HOSPITAL WAS TAKEN OVER BY THE ALBERTA CATHOLIC HOSPITAL FOUNDATION. IN 1986 FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES BEGAN TO APPEAR AND EVENTAULLY RESULTED IN THE HOSPITAL BEING CONVERTED TO ST. MICHAEL'S HEALTH CENTRE IN 1992, FOCUSING ON THE NEEDS OF LONG TERM PATIENTS. FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES CONTINUED UNTIL THE HOSPITAL WAS CLOSED IN 1995. ST. MICHAEL’S HOSPITAL WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1996. AT THE TIME OF THE 2014 SURVEY, THE FORMER HOSPITAL SITE HOUSED THE ST. THERESE VILLA, A LONGTERM NURSING CARE FACILITY, AND THE ST. MICHAEL'S HEALTH CENTRE, A MULTI-PURPOSE REHABILITATION, PALLATIVE AND CONTINUING CARE FACILITY, BOTH CONSTRUCTED IN THE LATE 1990S.
- Catalogue Number
- P19960116175
- Acquisition Date
- 1996-01
- Collection
- Museum
Images
{{ server.message }}