Skip header and navigation
Galt Museum and Archives Collections
  • Search
  • Help
  • Selections 0
Print
Toggle Detail View

TROPHY

https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/artifact3321
Material Type
Artifact
Other Name
ALBERTA HOTEL CUP - LACROSSE
Materials
SILVER PLATE, BRASS
Catalogue Number
P19651988000
More detail
Material Type
Artifact
Other Name
ALBERTA HOTEL CUP - LACROSSE
Date
1903
Materials
SILVER PLATE, BRASS
No. Pieces
1
Height
38.7
Diameter
17.2
Description
SILVER PLATED WITH BRASS BODY. "THE ALBERTA HOTEL CUP. PRESENTED BY GEORGE LEVASSEUR FERNIE, B.C." ENGRAVED FRONT CUP. FLORAL, SHELL & FILIGREE PATTERN ON CUP & BASE. 2 HANDED CUP. BEAD PATTERN ON MOUTH & WAIST OF CUP. "STANDARD SILVER CO. LTD. TORONTO" IN CIRCULAR SHAPE WITH FLAG SHAPE IN MIDDLE WITH "86 HARD WHITE METAL" STAMPED ON BASE.
Subjects
PERSONAL SYMBOL
Historical Association
SPORTS
History
WON BY LETHBRIDGE CROWSNEST LEAGUE, JANUARY 1 1903 - LACROSSE CUP. *UPDATE* IN 2015 COLLECTIONS ASSISTANT JANE EDMUNDSON CONDUCTED A SURVEY OF ART OBJECTS, INCLUDING ONE DONATED BY THE SAME DONOR AS THIS TROPHY, THE CHINOOK CLUB OF LETHBRIDGE. THE FOLLOWING BRIEF HISTORY OF THE CLUB WAS DEVELOPED WITH INFORMATION FROM ALEX JOHNSTON'S BOOK 'HISTORY OF THE CHINOOK CLUB, 1901-1987', PUBLISHED BY THE LETHBRIDGE HISTORICAL SOCIETY IN 1988, AND LETHBRIDGE HERALD ARTICLES FROM 1993 AND 2000. THE CHINOOK CLUB WAS A MEN'S SOCIETY AND SOCIAL CLUB FOUNDED BY PROMINENT LETHBRIDGE BUSINESSMEN IN 1901. AT ITS FIRST MEETING ON NOVEMBER 7, 1901, 22 MEMBERS ENROLLED IN THE CLUB, INCLUDING C.F.P. CONYBEARE, DR. F.H. MEWBURN, C.B. BOWMAN, FRED DOWNER, AND CHARLES A. MAGRATH. THE CLUB INITIALLY ADOPTED THE ORIGINAL LETHBRIDGE PUBLIC SCHOOL HOUSE AT THE CORNER OF 7 STREET AND 4 AVENUE SOUTH AS ITS HEADQUARTERS, ACQUIRING THE LAND FROM ELLIOT GALT'S NORTH WESTERN COAL AND NAVIGATION COMPANY. THE CLUB RESIDED AT THAT ADDRESS UNTIL 1944, WHEN MEMBER FRED DOWNER SOLD HIS FAMILY HOME, WESTMINSTER HOUSE, AT 3 AVENUE AND 13 STREET SOUTH TO THE ORGANIZATION. THE CHINOOK CLUB OPERATED OUT OF WESTMINSTER HOUSE UNTIL ITS MEMBERSHIP DWINDLED DURING THE 1980S AND THE BUILDING'S MAINTENANCE COSTS OUTWEIGHED ITS VALUE TO THE CLUB, LEADING TO ITS SALE IN 1993. THE BUILDING WAS MOVED SOUTH DOWN MAYOR MAGRATH DRIVE, WHERE IT HOUSED A BED & BREAKFAST AND, AT THE TIME OF THIS SURVEY, IS OWNED BY THE LAND DEVELOPER OF PRAIRIE ARBOUR ESTATES. THE CHINOOK CLUB ALSO OPENED UP ITS MEMBERSHIP TO WOMEN IN 1993, CITING ITS DESIRE TO MOVE FORWARD INTO THE 21ST CENTURY WITH YOUNG PROFESSIONALS OF LETHBRIDGE, BUT BY 2000, HAD CEASED OPERATIONS DUE TO A LACK OF MEMBERSHIP. SEE PERMANENT FILE P19651998000-GA FOR HARDCOPIES OF SOURCE MATERIAL.
Catalogue Number
P19651988000
Acquisition Date
1965-09
Collection
Museum
Less detail
  • Share
    Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter LinkedIn LinkedIn
  • Feedback
  • More like this
  • Permalink
  • Home
  • Search
  • Help

Galt Museum and Archives
502 1 Street South
Lethbridge, AB

Phone: 403.320.3954
info@galtmuseum.com

© 2026 Galt Museum and Archives