Skip header and navigation
Galt Museum and Archives Collections
  • Search
  • Help
  • Selections 0
Print
Toggle Detail View

CHAIR, ALTAR

https://collections.galtmuseum.com/link/artifact12163
Material Type
Artifact
Other Name
PRESIDER'S CHAIR
Date Range From
1927
Date Range To
1927
Materials
WOOD
Catalogue Number
P20060021005
More detail
Material Type
Artifact
Other Name
PRESIDER'S CHAIR
Date Range From
1927
Date Range To
1927
Materials
WOOD
No. Pieces
3
Height
152.5
Length
83
Width
51
Description
OAK CHAIR WITH CARVED SIDES, ARMREST, AND UPPER BACK. UPPER BACK DISPLAYS TRIANGLE DESIGN WITH LOW RELIEF FLOWER CARVED INTO CENTER. BISHOP'S MITRE AT TOP WHICH FEATURES ENGRAVED CROSSES. TWO CROSSES THAT ARE BROKEN (IN BAG) ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ATTACHED TO TOP OF MITRE.
Subjects
CEREMONIAL ARTIFACT
Historical Association
RELIGION
History
THIS CHAIR IS OFTEN REFERRED TO AS THE BISHOP'S CHAIR DUE TO THE HAND-CARVED MITRES AT THE TOP OF THE CHAIR. HOWEVER, THE TRUE BISHOP'S CHAIR IS THE CATHEDRA, LOCATED IN THE DIOCESAN CATHEDRAL. EVERY ANGLICAN PARISH HAS A CHAIR FOR THE RECTOR, WHO PASTORS THE PARISH ON BEHALF OF THE BISHOP. AS THE CHAIR IS REASONABLY HEAVY AND FEATURES DELICATE CARVING, IT WAS RARELY REMOVED FROM ITS LOCATION IN THE SANCTUARY. ST MARY’S ANGLICAN CHURCH BEGAN EARLY IN THE 1900S. THE EARLIEST ARCHIVAL RECORD IS A STATEMENT MADE IN JANUARY, 1906 THAT A GROUP OF PROMINENT MEMBERS OF ST. AUGUSTIN’S PARISHIONERS AGREED TO COVER A DEFICIT IN THE OPERATION OF ST. MARY’S MISSION UP TO $300. APPARENTLY, ST. MARY’S EXISTED BEFORE THIS DECISION, BUT IT IS UNKNOWN FOR HOW LONG. A FORMAL ORGANIZATION MEETING FOR ST. MARY’S MISSION WAS HELD ON APRIL 20. 1908. THE SEPARATE PARISH OF ST. MARY’S WAS ESTABLISHED ON FEBRUARY 1, 1910. THE “NEW” CHURCH WAS BUILT IN 1912, AND USED BY THE PARISH UNTIL IT CLOSED IN 2003. THE NORTH SIDE CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP THEN RENTED THE BUILDING UNTIL 2006, WHEN THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD TO A PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL. THERE WERE AT LEAST EIGHT RECTORS (PRIESTS) AT ST MARY’S BETWEEN 1910 AND 1944, INCLUDING SOME PERIODS OF TIME WHEN NO PRIEST WAS AVAILABLE (OR AFFORDABLE). IN 1944, ROBERT COWAN ARRIVED AND SERVED ST. MARY’S FOR THE NEXT 37 YEARS UNTIL 1981, A TERM UNPARALLELED IN THE ANGLICAN DIOCESE OF CALGARY. IT WAS DURING THIS TIME THAT ST. MARY’S BECAME KNOWN HAS ST. MARY THE VIRGIN. CANON COWAN RETURNED TO ST MARY’S AS A PARISHIONER FOR A FEW YEARS LATER, AND REMAINED UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1999. MICHAEL EBSWORTH SERVED AS RECTOR FROM 1981 UNTIL 1994, WHEN HE RESIGNED DUE TO HEALTH REASONS. FATHER EBSWORTH REMAINED A RESIDENT OF LETHBRIDGE, OFTEN SERVING AS A “VISITING” PRIEST, AND HE TOOK PART IN THE FINAL SERVICE AT ST. MARY’S HELD ON AUGUST 14, 2003. IN THE FINAL DECADE OF ST MARY’S EXISTENCE, FIVE OTHER PRIESTS SERVED THE PARISH, INCLUDING TWO FEMALE PRIESTS WHICH SOME FOUND SURPRISING DUE TO ST. MARY’S TRADITIONAL LITURGICAL PRACTICES. THE CHURCH CLOSED AND AMALGAMATED WITH THE ANGLICAN PARISH OF ST. AUGUSTINE. OTHER OBJECTS AND ARCHIVAL MATERIALS ASSOCIATED WITH ST. MARY'S OPERATION WERE TRANSFERRED TO THE ANGLICAN DIOCESE OF CALGARY. AT THE TIME OF ITS CLOSURE, ST MARY'S WAS THE LONGEST OPERATING OF ANY LETHBRIDGE CHURCH IN THE CURRENT PREMISES. FOR COMPLETE HISTORY SEE PERMANENT FILE P20060021001.
Catalogue Number
P20060021005
Acquisition Date
2006-08
Collection
Museum
Less detail
  • Share
    Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter LinkedIn LinkedIn
  • Feedback
  • More like this
  • Permalink
  • Home
  • Search
  • Help

Galt Museum and Archives
502 1 Street South
Lethbridge, AB

Phone: 403.320.3954
info@galtmuseum.com

© 2026 Galt Museum and Archives