The donor, a Senior Planner with the City of Lethbridge, oversaw the demolition of the Bridge Inn. He took these photographs on the day of the demolition. Mr. Kuhl is also the Project Manager for the Heart of Our City master plan for Lethbridge's downtown core.
The Bridge Inn was originally opened as the Queen's Hotel at what would become 316 1 Avenue South, in 1898. It replaced a building known as Roberge Hall, also called Alphonse's Hall, that stood on the same site from about 1885 or 1886. In 1902 T. Rooney bought the hotel and changes its name to the Arlington Hotel. A new mahogney bar was added, accented by carved oak around a central panel of plate glass. In 1904 a 30 foot x 40 foot frame addition with iron siding was built, and in 1910 the entire building was replaced by a three storey brick structure. An adjoining older building was acquired and renovated, bringing the capacity of the Arlington Hotel to 117 rooms. It was the largest hotel in the city. Much later the Arlington was remodelled and renamed the Plainsmen Hotel. Finally, in 1976 the hotel was given the name Bridge Inn. It's condition deteriorated over the years. The City of Lethbridge evenutally bought the hotel and tried to interest prospective buyers in it. When that failed, the building was demolished on 24 May 2007.
Source: Dogertom, Irma. Where Was It? A Guide To Early Lethbridge Buildings (Lethbridge Historical Society, 2001)