The first school built by the Lethbridge Protestant School District No. 51 in 1886 was located on the north west corner of Glyn and dufferin (7th Street and 4th Avenue South.) It wa built by Donald Fraser and Enoch Blythe at a cost of $1, 565, under authorization of the first elected Board of Trustees - Wm. Stafford (Chairman), H.F. Greenwood (Secretary - Treasurer) and John Craig. The first teacher hired by the Board was Mr. B.L. Latimer who taught in the cottage rented from the Compnay prior to the building of the first school. In June 1887 a second teacher was hired - Miss. Duff.
This picture was presented to the Board of Trustees of Lethbridge School District No.51 in September, 1978, by Mr. George Watson, Senior. Mr. Watson taught in Lethbridge for 31 years. Upon his retirement (June 1961) he turned his interest and endeavours to preserving the history of Southern Alberta. Much Credit is due to him for the gathering of information from oldtimers and their decendants. Mr. Watson has been tireless in his efforts to bring the students of our schcools an interesting and informative background of their city.
[Description taken from the caption of the photograph]
Scope and Content
Photograph shows the first school built with the students standing in front of the school as well as the two teachers standing at the school doors.
photograph printed on board paper