96cm of textual records, 58 photographs, and 2 oversized maps
History / Biographical
The Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park Association (WGIPPA) is an organization within Rotary International comprised mainly of Rotarians from Districts 5360, 5370 and 5390, although any Rotarian in good standing can be a member of the WGIPPA. The WGIPPA continues to promote the peace park concept, and peace among nations generally, through annual assemblies and ceremonies like 'Hands Across the Border'.
"The establishing of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park is essentially a Rotary project.
At the first annual good-will meeting fostered by the Cardston Rotary Club held at the Prince of Wales Hotel, Waterton Lakes Park, on Saturday, July 4th, 1931, between the Rotarians of Alberta and Montana, the following resolution was presented for consideration and carried, unanimously.
Moved by Rev Canon S.H. Middleton, Cardston, and seconded by Harry B. Mitchell of Great Falls.
'Whereas one hundred members of the Rotary Clubs, representing the cities of Cardston, Lethbridge and Calgary of Alberta; Great Falls, Kalispell and Missoula of Montana, and Estevan, Saskatchewan, are assembled together attending meeting at the Waterton Lakes National Park;
An Whereas, it has been decided that a similar annual meeting be held alternately at Glacier Park, Montana and Waterton National Park, Alberta;
Therefore, be it Resolved, that the proper authorities be petitioned to commence negotiations to establish the two parks indictaed as a permanent International Peace Park, which shall be definitely set aside for this laudable purpose.
Pledging our loyalty and allegiance to foster all international relationships.'
Negotiations were immediately commenced with the local representatives of the Governments concerned, Brig. General J.S. Stewart, C.M.G., D.S.O., M.P. for Alberta, and the Hon. Scott Leavitt for Montana. Bills were duly presented during the 1932 session before the Federal Government, Washington, and the Dominion Government, Ottawa, both Houses working separately and conjointly in their respective spheres, which resulted in the official proclamation that the two parks be henceforth designated as 'the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park'..."
[Source: 'Opening and Dedication of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park on Saturday, June 18th, 1932 Glacier Park Montana, U.SA.' in file 20021071002]
Scope and Content
The donation covers a variety of administrative records from the South Calgary Rotary Club.